Monday, July 27, 2009

OBX Sunday - There is sand EVERYWHERE

After carefully wedging two adults, two kids, two dogs and umpteen bags into the Explorer Saturday afternoon, we were off on our adventure to Avon, North Carolina. Three stops and 6 1/2 hours later, we arrived at our home for the next week: Sound Retreat. It's not the largest or fanciest of vacation homes, but is conveniently located behind the Dairy Queen and a short walk from the beach - two positives in my book! Personally, I was so surprised to find the beach in Avon as wide as a football field from dune to shoreline. So different from the beaches of Dewey and Duck. Sunday we hit the beach at 12:30 after sleeping in a bit and were almost washed away by high tide! Bella especially loved it, outfitted in her kayaking life jacket. Ben was content with digging his way to China in the sand. We decided that on Monday we'd come back to boogie board at low tide to give Mommy's heart a rest.
Some may notice Bella is missing her typical summer accessory: goggle headwear!
We all had so much sand in our suits, I think we've decided to alternate beach and pool days. That's mostly for Andy's sanity.
Ben has been a very brave boy, but not in the typical daredevil kind of way.
Not exactly sure what this is....
Favorite quote of the day, heard while walking from the dunes to the water:
Ben: Daddy, what are we gonna do at the beach?
Andy: Well, we'll jump in the waves, build sandcastles, and look at girls. I'll show you how to do that last one.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Yay! Looks like much fun! I hope the weather holds out for the rest of the week - we've had a ton of thunderstorms here.

PS - I doubt Ben will really need any help with that last one :)