Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tadpoles

One day up at Monticello, I noticed tons of tiny tadpoles at the fishing pond on the West Lawn. I wasn't really sure how the staff would react to a crazy person scooping a bucket of water out of Mr. Jefferson's pond, so I asked if I could take some. They said as long as I was subtle and it wasn't too busy that it would be fine. Now we have NINE new members of our family here at the Hersman Home Place! I picked up a new filter (aka bubbler) and some aquarium gravel and set the little guys up in Bella's old 10 gallon fish tank. Now, one week later, our buddies have back legs! Here's a picture of them on the first day. I'll try to get some good shots of them today with their new legs. 

According to a very informative third grader in my tour last week, these critters will grow to be "Spring Peepers".  I'll have to google that one! 

2 comments:

the swimmer said...

Now, THAT is cool!! :)

Anonymous said...

How fun!!! Spring peepers are the frogs that made that "peep" sound you most likely hear in the early evening. peep peep peep peep!!! Enjoy!